Pathways to Registration
The APBSA recognises five pathways to registration. These pathways are also recognised by other registration boards in Australia. The APBSA and the Architects Accreditation Council of Australia (AACA), are jointly involved in the assessment procedure for the pathways.
1. Graduate of an Australian Accredited Architecture Qualification
2. Graduate of an Overseas Architecture Qualification (Overseas Qualifications Assessment (OQA))
3. No Qualification - minimum seven years industry experience (National Program of Assessment (NPrA)) - 2020 Timetable
4. Overseas Experienced Practitioner (OEP)
5. Local Experienced Practitioner (LEP)
Pathways 1, 2 and 3 require applicants to undertake and pass the Architectural Practice Examinations (APE) after successfully completing their qualification or qualification assessment (ie pathways 1 and 2). Successful candidates through the NPrA procedure are also required to undertake and pass the Architectural Practice Examination. Passing the APE for these candidates (Parts 1, 2 and 3) enables candidates to apply for registration.
Pathways 4 and 5, once successfully assessed, enable the applicant to apply for registration.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALTERNATIVE PATHWAYS 2, 4 AND 5 - DUE TO COVID-19
Want to know more about the AACA’s Oversees Qualifications Assessment or Experienced Practitioner Assessment? In these unsettling times due to COVID-19 the AACA is looking at a range of strategies to support applicants by:
- conducting interviews in the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2 and Experienced Practitioner Assessment via Zoom
- offering flexible payment programs where relevant
- offering free access to interactive on-line sessions on the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2 and Experienced Practitioner Assessment to find out more about the processes. These sessions will be run by the AACA professional staff directly responsible for the programs.
If you want to find out more about Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2 or Experienced Practitioner Assessment after reading the Guide for Candidates please click here.